Thursday, June 21, 2007

Granite sculpture

I recently went to a sculpture garden showcasing work by artisans from a small town by the ocean called Mamallapuram. It is located between Madras and Pondicherry. This is a private garden owned by a granite company that ships granite all over the world; I saw one really beautiful tombstone going to Minnesota. Anyway, the sculptors are taught by the older generations in their families . They have been doing this type of work for hundreds and hundreds of years. The work in my photographs were all commissioned by the company with its own granite transformed. I was so lucky to be able to come here; it is also only about two hundred yards from the beach. I was awestruck. Many of these works were done from pictures and drawings from people everywhere commissioning these sculptures, and then the company keeps this garden to show prospective clients. I want one for my birthday.





This is Shiva. He is very strong and powerful in the Hindu religion. He is believed by the Hindus to be the god of death, which also signifies rebirth.





















(above left)In the foreground is buddha as a very thin and serious man. Most images depict buddha as chubby and bald. (right)This one reminds me of an American Indian totem pole.












This is one of my favorites because it reminds me of home. One time an alligator about this size chased my little brother up a tree when he and my dad were seining a little fishing hole. Daddy wanted to have a fish fry for the whole family at Easter. Not only did we have alot of fish that got scared into the net, but we also had gator tail.








All this beautifully cut grass that you see is cut by hand. Local women are hired to water it and cut it with sickles. I haven't seen a riding lawnmower since I arrived.

No comments: