Saturday, June 16, 2007

i love this skirt.






Sooo.... this is my first real blog. I have never really been a "writer", i am a photographer, but now I feel it is time for me to put some ideas, thoughts, inspirations together so that I can see them all cohesively in one place. Also, I really appreciate critiques (constructive) and opinions from the people I love and admire so this is a way for me to communicate my ideas in a sort of stream of consciousness format quickly and get some feedback.

UUGGHHH!!! this computer just decided to turn itself off and I lost my train of thought...so India.

I have been in India for eight months and have been completely inspired in a way that hasn't happened in a long time for me. I am originally from Tifton, Georgia USA. I decided to come here because I turned 30, and I decided to stay a while because I got a year visa. I love sustainable design and development; more specifically in architecture and construction. I also like accessories; more specifically, bags.... and I love to eat.
The colors, smells, architecture, people in South India have really done a job on me. Another really amazing realization is how different business transaction, money handling, and networking is done. I try to think how I would put that down in writing and make sense of it, but as of yet, I have failed. Even on paper..... but what keeps coming to the forefront of my mind is "organized chaos, organized chaos...".

There are some things here I would like to do. I want to put up some photos of bags and clothes I have found recently at the "Goubert Market" in Pondicherry (Puducherry) Tamil Nadu, India where I now reside and love. This market was a little difficult to find at first, as it is inside one city block. There are entrances to the outside between the buildings facing out to the street. After a while, I found that most of the entrances have yellow painted arches that say "Goubert Market" leading you in. How could I have missed the yellow? I don't know, I think I was looking too hard, like when I'm stalking mosquitos in my room to kill before I go to bed at night. To my defense, the signs are dirty and stained with everything imaginable.

The merchandise is mainly cotton, silk/cotton mix, and silk. The designs are clean and modern; simple but great fabrics, colors, and shapes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Valli,
Love the bags and I already want one. I like the one with the tree. Your pictures are absolutely amazing! I will want to purchase a pic too. Looks like you have spent quite abit of time on the computer. Have a safe journey back home. See you soon, Kate and Lily (one month old)